Highlights

problems and how to solve them...

theory, reasons, where the idea is from...why am I doing this...

Response of the final piece

2017-2-23

Realized when I suddenly have the thing that I have been craving for, can be really scary. I wanted to have the most amount of freedom in so many aspects since I started doing art and now I finally have it here with me. I am the one to decided what to look at and what to show people now, all of he sudden it is like a black-out and I don't know where to start anymore. 

There are so many articles that is relatable to my theme and so many artists to do research on, what should I pick? Where should I start?

I still could not decided the leading project for my theme because I cannot tell how big the possibility is for each of them.

2017-3-3

Starting to put metaphors in physical things, which is more like a habit for myself to start a project. I understand that there are not going to be as much time as I think there are so I decided to stick with a way to work with the materials - creating and breaking. Breaking plays a very important role in this project, which is a act that I was inspired from the Kinstugi art.

At this point breaking is still a very broad idea and I have not define it well enough but I want to let myself get lost in this act and only feel how it is first.

2017-3-9

After the progress tutorial today, I now have a clearer idea and image of what kind of direction I should focus on, and more importantly, a more realistic idea on what material that I should use. I have to admit that I cared too much about the outlook of the final piece instead of thinking about why it should be like that and the meaning behind. 

I wanted to use glass and ceramics as a combination at first but then I realized it is not very possible to achieve what I want during this project, so I change it to plastic.

I went to Archway straight after the tutorial and had a talk with the technician and found out the experimental sculpture that I want to make is a lost more difficult to achieve. But I went to the metal workshop and made small model anyway, and ready to do experiment with plastic later.

2017-3-23

I was playing around in the plastic and wood workshop today. Continue experimenting with the possibilities of the plastic sheets, I made some different shapes with them.

IMG_4038.JPG

IMG_4039.JPG

I found the wooden mode in the workshop so I decided to melt the plastic sheets into little half circle. I was not expecting anything from this experiment but I found that the burnt edges of the plastics are quite interesting, I think they made the plastic more lively.

Then I went to the metal workshop and made a cube with cooper then cover 5 of the sides with plastic sheets.

IMG_4051.JPG

IMG_4052.JPG

IMG_4055.JPG

I believe that this is the break-throw point of this project because after I made the cube and look at it, I can fill up the cube with so many small pieces of ideas that I did not know how to development them and made them into a piece of work. 

I see the cube as the container and what happen inside should be a description of what I am containing right now. 

2017-4-7

(Recording feelings for the project)

It's now 5:20am.
listening to a new song that i found online. and all if the sudden i realize maybe the identity and relationships i have been focusing on are just a silhouette of the actual  emotions that i have been hiding away from.
'Wanna go home, right? Even though you are already home.'
World seems to be up-side-down but funny enough i never notice the difference between the reality and imagination. This feeling is scary but what can i do with it? I cannot describe this feeling with words. I guess it's feels like the disgusting and awful feeling when you want to throw up at your hangover but you can't, because you didn't even drink the night before.

Zion T. - Eat

2017-4-11

'Why does it has to be a cube?'

A very simple but crucial question was raised by my tutor today. I should be able to answer it with reason but I could not. I was completely lost for a few minutes yet I still couldn't find the trace for the answer.
I started to think about the word 'contain' again, maybe I thought cube, or not even 'cube' just something that has a pointy angle is closer to the common physical containers. But there is actually no real reason for me to support myself to use a cube for my work because it does not follow the idea. The idea of visualizing 'the container of emotion' has no written definition at all. I decided to use a cube because I feel like it but this is before I thought of or try any other shapes. I am going to start again and  explore more before deciding.

2017-4-12

Today is a day to explore without a doubt! After the chat with Susan yesterday I started to doubt myself about the idea of using a cube, so I try to make something different.
I also tested the strength of the plastic sheets and whether they can hold the glass was without breaking or changing the shape too much without the copper stand. I am so glad that it works out fine.
For the shape if the plastic, I tried to melt the sheet over a cube and fold them to make a box-like shape. I found that so boring as a box so I melted some of the cube and change the shapes a bit. I think the uneven surface and the marks of the fold make the cube look more interesting and alive. They also make it look like the glass wax is changing the shape of the cube which is suitable for my idea of containing emotions before explosion.

IMG_4436.JPG

2017-4-13

After having the idea of making others shapes for the sculpture, I realized I have been ignoring a very important question, why does it have to be other shapes? The answer is pretty much the same as 'Why does it has to be a cube?', there is no fixed answer for that. 

I believe that sometimes we have to follow our feelings first, then we will understand why we did that. I eventually did a cube shape for the final sculpture today, and I can finally understand why I chose a cube. The theme of my project is containing the period of time that everyone has but no one likes. The sculpture itself should not be 'fun'. Instead, a little bit of boring or even 'making people feel empty' is what the sculpture trying to achieve. And this is also why I am using all transparent materials for it. 

After being sure that I am going to make a sculpture based on a cube, I was suggested to vacuum a cube, which is definitely easier, but then it will lose the feeling of rawness and became a ordinary and dead plastic cube which I do not want, so I end up trying to fold them.

When I was trying to make a cube by folding them and melting them together, I found that it was nearly impossible to make a neat one.  So to fix the problem, I made a wood cube as the mold for the plastic sheet to melt onto.

IMG_4463.JPG

IMG_4468.JPG

2017-4-18

Finally my sculpture is forming into shape! 

I went to buy the glass was this morning and now I am so glad that I chose to get the 5kg one because I almost used all of them! 
My work today didn't really follow my ideal plan very well, mainly because of all the time that takes to melt the glass wax. Due to the large amount of glass wax that I need to melt and the little equipment I have got, I need to melt the glass wax separately around 7 times. At first I put large chucks of glass wax into the bolt and it took nearly one hour to melt them completely. So I started breaking them up into small pieces. I also learned that they melt faster if I slowly add them into the melted wax. But still it was a very slow and long process so I couldn't cover the hole of the cube as I planned to do so. I will go in tomorrow morning and finish the final part.
Another difficult part is to let the glass wax cover the place that I want to. As there is not enough glass wax, even though I already got the larger size, I need to change the angle everytime I pour the wax into the cube. And use clay to secure the plastic surface. 

IMG_4514.JPG

Need to slow build up the clay to increase the angle of the cube.

IMG_4515.JPG

Breaking the wax is a very essential key to finish the cube on time although the breaking process is tiring and boring. I have slowly learned to use a chisel to break the wax into the most suitable size for melting. I also tried breaking them into very tiny pieces, almost like powder, but then I realized dust mixed with in very easily and made the wax dirty.

IMG_4532.JPG

IMG_4533.JPG

I used sponge and brush to clean the dried out clay that were sticking on the surface and the cracks of the cube. I need to be very careful about the water that were running into the cube.

IMG_4526.JPG.1

I eventually decided to use the broken glass as the object inside the wax. The idea of the broken glass came to me a very long time ago but I was not very sure about it back then. I used the broken glass to represent the subject that is going through the period of time when it contains itself and drowning inside the muddling and endless thoughts with dramatic emotions.

2017-4-20

Deciding how and where to put my final piece up is exciting but at the same time the choice is limited due to the size of the showroom and the large amount of students. Space is very valuable but I am satisfied with my given space. I was choosing between putting the cube on the floor or on the plinth. I think putting it on the floor matches my theme that my cube should not be too obvious but the colour of the floor dose not matches with my cube at all and made it looks too casual. Also, I think putting it on the floor increase the chance for people to walk past it as there is a very large scale installation right next to my sculpture.So I decided to put it up on the plinth. I chose the plinth with the eye level height at I found out the lighting and gives the cube a good shadow, and also it is easier to spot the broken glass inside at eye level rather than at bird-eyeview.

2017-2-16

After a week of looking and searching for a theme that is interesting for the project, I was told that there are actually a lot of small projects within my theme and I need to gather them and find a lead one. I really struggled with this because I feel like the more I think about the content of the theme, the clearer form I am shaping my art. It is a very difficult job to separate the brain for writing and be a creator to approach to the project.

2017-2-27

I found sometimes presenting my brief to my peers help analysing and solving the unclear ideas more direct than talking to  tutors. Interesting questions were pointed out for my theme, such as whether the phase giving up suitable for the topic and do we actually make decisions to change ourselves. Before I had the discussion with my peers, my brief and my view points toward the theme are very narrow because they are all my own approach but now it is much more diverse and I am able to start making things according to different view points.

2017-3-6

I started to get really excited about the broke glass that somehow I kept since last month! I really want to try the combination of glass and ceramics. 

Other than irregular shapes, I found myself more interested in regular shapes like cubes. 

And also the textures, somehow transparent cubes make me feel peaceful and also wanting to crush them at the same time. 

Like feeling good about being with someone but when that person get too close somehow was disgusted by the whole scenario. 

2017-3-11

Inspired by the movie 'Inception', I found a key word to is very relatable to my theme, which is 'contain'. Relationships are built up of emotions and before we dispose any of them, any factors actually, we somehow tried to contain them. People all have different ways but some of them failed to trash them and keep containing them instead.

The progress of containing and holding in a feeling can be very long but necessary. I can describe it as drowning without trying to float. The most common situation will be the period after breaking up with someone. I see this period of time as the time of containing - the middle point. I found this very interesting and would definitely develop the idea further and tried visualize it.

I have decided to narrow my project theme to focus on personal emotions and how they affect our identity.

2017-3-13

About the idea of containing, I went back to the little experiments that I did to start the project but I did not develop them further  but I believe that it will be worthy to develop it further because the shape is very relatable to containing. And also it can visualize the idea very well.

IMG_3600.JPG

These are some origami cube that me and my friend used one whole morning to made. I wanted to make 24 of them because of a video idea that I got while talking to one of my friend about dividing a cake into 24 cubes and and take them away one by one, which is actually a metaphor of spending an hour with someone is equivalent of losing an hour of yourself. It was just a very spontaneous chat and idea. And I have up the origami cubes because of the time that they takes.

However, now the cube can be a new idea and a form of containing, which really got me excited about although I still have a very small vision of what it will be.

2017-3-21

Done some experiment with plastic in Archway with the cooper figure that I made before. 

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_4011.JPG

IMG_4014.JPG

1st Attempt.

IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_4024.JPG

2nd Attempt.

I tried to melt the plastic sheet and wrap it around the model but it was harder than it sounds. I found it really difficult to control the heat of the melting gun, the plastic sheet got over-heated easily in a very short period of time and breaks. So a lot of holes can be found in the first attempt model. I handled the second one more patiently and it was easier to get the right softness of the plastic to bend.

However, it is still very far away from what I expected to create from the material. I might also experiment the plastic sheet with different shapes and see how it goes.

2017-3-24

Following the idea that I had yesterday, I went to the ask the technician in the casting workshop about what kind of material I can use to achieve the feeling of water/glass, I wanted to use rasin but they found me a even better and easier way to do it with glass wax. The reason why i wanted to make the whole sculpture transparent is because I want to create a very delicate and vulnerable feeling to represent the sensitive and broken period of human.

However, I actually spent most of the day preparing and buying the glass wax. I was asked to build a holding to hold the cube because I want to glass wax to be poured and fixed in one of the corner of the cube. 

IMG_4072.JPG

The holder.

IMG_4073.JPG

Melting the glass wax.

IMG_4076.JPG

I also put some clay to try to lower the chance of changing the shape of the cube because of the very high temperature of the glass wax.

IMG_4081.JPG

Bubbles are impossible to avoid as here is no professional equipment for glass wax in the workshop, but I actually quite like the bubbles because they give the wax a sea water feeling, which really suits my idea of drowning.

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

Final look of the cube. 

2017-4-19

IMG_4564.JPG

On the final day of making! Today I covered the hole of the cube, which is a very tricky part because I can only work and mold the glass on the outside, and the plastic sheets are really difficult to work with only one side of support. So I first stuck the two corners on the top as they are the strongest and I could mold with them with my hands. Then I slowly melt the plastic sheet on a piece of wood to make it flatter, and mold them into shape. I need to be extra careful and slow with the whole process because it will be very difficult to fix if the temperature got too high and burn a hole in the sheet.

I also realized the glass wax that are thinner, such as the area that is around the edges are extremely easy to break, which made the sculpture very delicate.

IMG_4569.JPG

Final look of the sculpture. 

Response of the final piece:

In general, I am satisfied with the result of my sculpture but there are some aspects that can be improved. For example, I should do more experiment on the colour of the glass wax, such as maxing it with some wax pigments to find out more about it, or trying to do a experimental piece with a similar size to test out the colour in such a large amount of wax because the wax turns out slight more yellowish than in the test piece, However, in reality I could not really afford that much wax for a experimental piece as they are more than £40 for 5kg.

On the other hand, I quite like the muddle wax as it gives the sculpture a more fallen and dishabille feeling, which fits my theme. I think it matches with the imperfect cube. Moreover, I really like the idea of using the broken glass as the 'hidden focal point', it is not too obvious but still able to stand out once it has been spotted. 

I see this sculpture as metaphor of a period of time that we all have. I used the broken glass to represent the subject, which is people who suffer from exhaustion and uncertainty in life. The glass wax is the emotions and thoughts of the subject that are flooding over itself, made it way too difficult to get over. And the transparent cube is the cage that the subject built to protect itself from any more damage from the outside but at the same it locking itself to drown inside. 

2017-4-24

After finishing this project, I found that there are quite a dead-end ideas that I can develop further. I want to focus on some advanced issues that includes a wider group of people as my outcome of this project was very personal. I feel like it will be interesting to use the same theme but explore a more influential issue, such as the relationships between the high mental illness rate and the last generation. 

I also want to develop the photograph of the cube. And also put the cube in different environments and see how the atmosphere changes.